DNRT Hiring Seasonal Field Technician
Title: Seasonal Field Technician
Supervisor: Leah McFarland, Land Steward
Organization: Dartmouth Natural Resources Trust, Inc.
Time Period: May to August 2023. This will be a 12-week-long position with start and end date negotiable.
Summary of Position:
The Season Field Technician will primarily be working with DNRT’s Land Steward in maintaining 40 miles of trails across 19 Reserves, maintaining DNRT’s parking lots, and stocking maps at the kiosks. The Technician will assist the Land Steward in land management activities, such as trail improvement projects, bench installation, invasive plant removal, boundary marking, and wildlife surveys. Additionally, the technician will assist the Land Steward with other stewardship responsibilities in the office. The technician will also assist with other aspects of DNRT events, administrative tasks, and special projects as necessary.
- A high school diploma. Pursuit of a degree in natural resources, environmental science, or other biological sciences is a plus.
- Able to safely use motorized maintenance equipment, such as weed whackers, mowers, hedge trimmers, etc.
- Able to work long hours outdoors in rough conditions including heat, humidity, and rain.
- Able to navigate with map and compass and GPS. Familiarity with property descriptions, conveyances, and plans of land preferred but not required.
- Able to work alone and be self-motivated.
- This position is physically demanding. Must be able to walk 4 miles a day carrying 25 lbs., four days a week in a variety of weather conditions.
- Excellent verbal skills.
- Able to learn and identify plants in the South Coast area, both native and invasive.
- An ability and willingness to work positively with the public to promote conservation goals.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and own vehicle.
- Perform routine maintenance and implement Land Management objectives on DNRT’s Reserves. Primary tasks will include trail maintenance, mowing, invasive species removal, signage installation, stocking maps, and picking up trash.
- Update property boundaries with boundary markers and blaze trails with trail markers.
- Interact with the public as a DNRT representative.
- Assist with special projects and special events as necessary.
Hours and Compensation
Average of 32 hours per week at $17 per hour. This will be a 12-week-long position.
To apply, email or mail cover letter and resume to:
Leah McFarland, email@example.com, DNRT, PO Box 70567, Dartmouth, MA 02747, (508) 991-2289
Open until filled.