Title: Seasonal Field Technician
Supervisor: Land Steward
Organization: Dartmouth Natural Resources Trust
Time Period: Early June through August 2018. Start date negotiable.
Summary of Position:
The Seasonal Field Technician will primarily be working to support DNRT’s management of its 50 Reserves covering nearly 1,700 acres in Dartmouth, Massachusetts. A significant amount of the field technician’s time will be spent in the field doing land maintenance on the different DNRT Reserves. Additionally, the technician will assist the Land Manager with other stewardship responsibilities in the office. The technician will also assist with other aspects of DNRT events, administrative tasks, and special projects as necessary.
- A high school diploma. Pursuit of a baccalaureate degree in natural resources, environmental science or other biological sciences is a plus.
- Able to safely use motorized maintenance equipment, such as weed whackers, mowers, hedge trimmers, etc.
- Able to work outdoors, even in hot or wet conditions.
- Familiarity with maps. Familiarity with property descriptions, conveyances, and plans of land preferred but not required.
- Able to apply information gathered from above mentioned sources in the field, using a compass and camera. Ability to use GPS preferred but not required.
- Able to work alone and be self-motivated.
- Excellent verbal skills.
- Able to learn and identify plants in the area, both native and invasive.
- An ability and willingness to work positively with the public to promote conservation goals.
- Computer literacy, including word processing (Word) and spreadsheet (Excel).
- Interest in learning ArcGIS for creating maps is desired but not required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and own vehicle.
- Perform routine maintenance and implement Land Management objectives on DNRT’s Reserves. Primary tasks will include trail maintenance, mowing, invasive species removal, signage installation, stocking maps, and picking up trash.
- Update property boundaries with boundary markers and blaze trails with trail markers.
- Interact with the public as a DNRT representative.
- Assist with special projects and special events as necessary.
Hours and Compensation
Average of 32 hours per week at $11 per hour.
Please send a resumé and cover letter to DNRT.
Email: email@example.com | Mail: Linda Vanderveer, PO Box 70567, Dartmouth, MA 02747
Open until filled.