Dog walking is permitted on DNRT properties (except where posted), as long as sensitive resource areas and positive visitor experiences by all are preserved.
DNRT’s Dog Walking Rules
DNRT seeks to protect plant and wildlife habitat and encourage nature observation, learning, and positive outdoor recreation. Please observe the following dog walking etiquette rules so that we may preserve these qualities on our properties and all visitors may have a pleasant experience.
- Dogs are required to be under control at all times. “Control” is defined by the dog being within the owner’s sight and hearing at all times and being trained to come immediately when called.
- Do not take dogs into areas marked as restricted for management and resource protection reasons.
- Dogs are not allowed in ponds, watercourses, or wetlands – especially vernal pools.
- Carry plastic bags with you, pick up your dog’s waste, and dispose of it in trash receptacles off the property.
- Dogs are not allowed to harass wildlife of any kind.
- Dogs must stay on paths at all times so they do not disturb wildlife or livestock or damage vegetation.
- Yield to equestrians.
- Recognize that not everyone loves dogs – respect others and their need for space.
- Dog walkers and owners are responsible for their dog(s) behavior and actions.
DNRT Properties with Dog Walking Restrictions
Ocean View Farm
All dog walking is prohibited at Ocean View Farm due to the presence of rare species and federal grant requirements.
Dogs must be on leash throughout the Reserve March 15-May 15. Dog waste must be removed from the property.
Slocum's River Reserve
Dogs must be leashed on all pedestrian easements.